Friday, March 30, 2018

Yet another Garden & Vineyard relocation | Year 4

I moved again, and with it, the vineyard had to be relocated too. Unfortunately, at my new place, I do not have a yard, so I cannot keep the vines with me. Luckily, a friend of mine offered to take in the vines under his wing for the time being.

Saturday, March 10, 2018

Brewing a Kölsch | How I relocated my Brewhouse [Full Recipe]

Recently moved, I had been dying to make a new brew. My buddy kept talking to me about trying to do a lager, it being as difficult as it is with temperature control. With it being as cold as it is outside, overnight garage temperatures would actually be perfect for cold aging any beer. He decided to grab grain to make a Kölsch, as that would be a perfect style for the given season. So I hopped in and picked up some grain and yeast to do a Kölsch of my own.....

Friday, March 9, 2018

Free Washers!

I know I've been talking a lot of trash on my first bench grinder (for what a piece of trash it was, honestly, no roller bearings!).  However, history has shown that this blog has been very productive in utilizing every part of that broken grinder for the greater good.  For example, using bits of the housing for bicycle fender and basket brackets, melting the aluminum housing, and prior to that, using it as a sketch pad.  And to top it all off, I'm even still using the original grinding wheel on my new bench grinder, so I'd say that was $3 well spent, right?
After all this time, I'd never gotten around to the rotor.  I recently learned in my casting class that the aluminum part of motor rotors are actually diecasted directly onto the shaft and steel laminations forming a permanent bond (which would explain why they're so difficult to remove!) I wanted to remove the rotor, so I decided I'd try to turn it all the way down on the lathe.
Picture from the bench grinder fan post
What I didn't realize was that the steel laminations were actually round disks which extended radially outward like fan blades, with the aluminum (the non ferromagnetic material) cast in between to fill the remaining space.  I had been under the impression that they were just strips of steel embedded on the outside of the aluminum.  The good news for me: after turning through a good 1/4" of the aluminum/steel mix, I arrived at the bottom of the assembly, which looked like a bunch of serrated washers stacked together.  They separated with ease once there was no more aluminum holding them together.